All the single ladies, all the single ladies, all the single ladies, now put your hands up. If you didn't just sing that, what is wrong with you?! For those wondering why I'm suddenly breaking into song like a High School Musical wannabe, the answer is Valentine's Day, and more importantly IMO, Galentines Day. Being single in February can bring out the award turtle in all of us. Everything seems to be catered towards even numbers, and nothing can bring an Independent Woman (I'll stop soon, promise) down than when the psychic checkout staff give you that look when you buy a romantic meal for two, to share with your dog. But fear not there is a new holiday in town; Galentines Day. Usually on February 13th, it's a day to get the girl gang together and celebrate all things girl power and friendship. To be honest, after the recent Womens Marches across the globe, I don't think that there could be a better time to get together and celebrate how kick-ass we are.
To me, nothing says Galentines Day than a girls night in. No idea where to start? Here's a couple of suggestions to help you on your way.
- Galentines Day happens to fall on a Monday night, but don't let that spoil your fun. Plan round commitments and choose something that suits everyone. Grab lunch together, go to the cinema straight after work or get a takeaway and pop a DVD on. Pitch Perfect is my go to. Whatever you do, it's about making time for each other and celebrating you.
- Valentines Day isn't just about your BFF's. Don't forget to get your mum, grandma and co-workers in on the act too. Celebrate all those amazing women who support you and have your back. To be honest, don't even keep Galentines Day to your female friends. Make sure you include your wingmen, because let's face it, they're pretty great too!
- It doesn't have to cost the earth. Even though pay day has been, if you're still feeling the pinch, or just want to save a few pennies, don't think this rules you out. Have a pamper night with each of you bringing something along. I really rate 7th Heaven and their masks always go down a treat on nights in. They do an amazing range of face masks including self-heating Hot Spring Sauna Masque (*), Dead Sea Sheet Masque (*) and Black Seaweed Peel-off (*). But don't think it's just you're face in for a treat. I've recently discovered the Strengthening Nail & Cuticle Finger Masks (*), which are perfect for a pre-manicure treatment and, thanks to the Argan Oil Rescue Masque (*), my hair has never been in better condition. With such a huge range you're bound to find something to suit everyone.
- All your nearest and dearest a million miles away? You don't have to be in the same room, or continent, to celebrate your friendship. Schedule a Skype date and talk about all your favourite memories together. Nothing says "thank you for watching endless Dance Moms repeats and eating too many tubs of Ben & Jerry's with me" than a giggle and catch-up with the girls.
- And last but not least, turn of your phones. Unless you're skyping on your phone because that just bursts everyones bubble. But shut out all those everyday distractions, and dedicate whatever time you do have to each other. Because after all, Tinder can wait.
So that's how I'm going to be spending my Galentine's Day. What about you? Let me know in the comments below.